Code of Internet Use
The following are the terms of agreement for using any connection to the Internet from North Toronto Collegiate Institute. This agreement must be signed before students can use school computers.
- I recognize that the primary purpose of Internet connections in a school is to enable students to do research and gather information for assignments. Therefore, whether in the classroom or the library, I will use the Internet for research only.
- I will not seek out or transmit materials that are racist, sexist, pornographic, homophobic, or dangerous, that contain portrayals of illegal acts, or that are against any other Toronto District School Board policy.
- I will immediately report to a teacher the accidental discovery of any material mentioned in item 2.
- To avoid possible computer viruses, I will not run any software on a school computer that I have downloaded from the Internet.
- I will NOT give out personal information such as my address, telephone number, or parents' work numbers without the permission of a teacher. In addition, I will not give out personal information about other people.
- I will not agree to get together with someone that I "meet" on-line without first informing one of my parents/guardian. If I do arrange a meeting, it will be in a public place.
- I will make absolutely sure that my communications on-line or through the use of e-mail are research-related, respectful, responsible, and ethical. If I am unsure about acceptable standards of communication, I will ask a teacher or my parents/guardian beforehand.
- I will not use the Internet in a way that would disrupt its use by other users. I will seek teacher permission before downloading files from the Internet. (e.g. downloading large files during peak times without permission, sending mass e-mail messages, annoying other users, etc.)
- I will not operate a computer in the school with food or drink near the equipment.
- I will observe any rules that prohibit playing games on computers at North Toronto C.I. I will respect the rule differences in each of the computer lab areas in the school.
- If I see any student disobeying any of the above rules, I will ask the student to stop doing so. If the student fails to follow my request, I will report the student to a teacher. I acknowledge that failure to do so may involve serious consequences.
- Using any computer at North Toronto is a privilege, not a right. I agree to relinquish use of any computer workstation if asked to do so by a teacher.
- I will not publish the school's name or any students' names on the Internet without express permission to do so either at school or through a private Internet connection.
The consequences of failure to abide by this code is the loss of Internet privileges everywhere in the school for a period of up to one year and possible suspension.